At Diocesan Synod on Saturday 11th March 2017 the following motion was passed: This Diocese warmly endorses the work of Hope 18 and Talking Jesus, recognising that many people come to faith through their family and friends. We commit to develop work in personal evangelism throughout the Diocese.
At the launch of the new Direction of Travel for the diocese in May with the strap-line Come Follow Christ, +Michael said, As we are renewed as Jesus disciples, as we respond to Gods call into our lives, we will want to tell our story to others, and we will want to invite them to make God part of their story too.
Archbishop Justin has made evangelism one of his key priorities and Archbishop Sentamu is known to say we must Evangelize or fossilize.
Evangelism is no longer a dirty word but it is still, for many, a difficult word. The following resources are here to help remedy this by equipping and enabling us to tell others the story of Jesus as +Michael has commended.
- Talking Jesus 6 Practical sessions for helping people share their faith confidently and naturally. Each Benefice in the diocese has at least one copy and more are available from the Mission Office - just email Richard Barrett.
- Faith Pictures a simple course produced by the Church Army more details here.
- Lost for Words. A CPAS course used by many churches. Currently out of print but we offer training in this as a diocese. Just ask Richard Barrett in the Mission Team
- Beautiful Lives. A short training course by Roger Morgan. Details here.
There are various links on the diocesan Top Tips page here where you will find:
- There are various Enquirers/Nurture courses which can be found under 'Courses' on Top Tips
- There are various courses which train in evangelism which can similarly be found under 'Courses' on Top Tips
- There is a rural evangelism course by Capt Gordon Banks, Journey to Faith, which can be found here
- On Fire Mission (here) is suitable for more catholic churches
- Billy Graham Association produce DVDs which you can download free or send for a free DVD from here
- Talking Jesus shows the results of extensive research done in this country on evangelism - here
- Frontline Discipleship focuses on our following of Jesus being wherever we are, not just in church on Sundays; here
- HOPE Together - here
- Table talk is a series of sets of discussion starters for different contexts (Blokes, friends, youth, women, elderly, etc) and details can be seen here
- Fellowship for Parish Evangelism. Several people from the diocese belong to this national organisation and details are here.
- J John and the Philo Trust; here
- Through Faith Missions (Walk of 1000 men); here
Community of Evangelists
The Lichfield Diocesan Community of Evangelists, formed in 2017, exists to recognise and affirm those with a ministry of evangelism (lay or ordained, part-time or full time, paid or voluntary). If you feel you are called or gifted in evangelism and own the tag evangelist, consider applying to join the Community of Evangelists. Details and application form can be found here.