Our people directory here has improved facilities:
The Search box has three options:
- Search People for... individuals by name
- Click on their name (in orange) for further info - for clergy that will show their benefice*; for chaplains it will show their primary workplace; for diocesan staff it will confirm which diocesan department they work in but not their particular job title.
- Search Places for... finding people in a particular parish. You will often get the same place listed twice, as Trumpton [Benefice] and Trumpton [Parish]. This reflects the way the Church of England is organised:
- parish-based clergy are mostly linked to the Benefice (becuase they may have responsiblities in more than one parish) so click the Benefice rather than Parish version of a place name:
- other clergy (eg retired) are almost all classed as PtO (Permission to Officate) within a whole deanery - so look in the parent deanery for a particular church. Below you can see the four archdeaconries listed with their constituent deaneries.
- Search Roles for... people by kinds of work - eg
- incumbents (the clergy person with primary responsibilty for a parish - they might also be called vicar, rector, team rector/vicar etc);
- curates (be aware that some people who are not incumbents are legally described as curates even though experienced - unlike the everyday use of 'curate' for trainee vicars!
- chaplains - clergy who support other communities - eg in education, healthcare, prisons, armed forces and other groups;
- staff and officers - people supporting all parishes, schools, chaplains and fresh expressions through the diocesan central offices.
Do note that there are some clergy (or contact details) who won't be listed due to GDPR objections or concerns.
- Edgmond and Shifnal
- Shrewsbury and Wrekin
- Wem and Whitchurch