Strengthening Communities mission is to know and love our communities, partnering with others in seeking the common good, working for justice, as people of hope.
We work with communities and individuals, churches and other faith groups, across Staffordshire, Stoke-on-Trent, The Black Country and north Shropshire, to support community building and improve lives. We want to help build resilient communities where everyone’s voice is heard and everyone’s strengths are celebrated.
We do this by actively partnering with a wide range of churches, faith groups, charities, voluntary, community and social enterprises. We focus and build on what is strong – not what’s wrong – in the community (an asset-based approach to community development). We do this by:
- Encouraging the voices of those affected to be heard and understood
- Empowering and equipping individuals and groups to make a practical difference
- Enabling people’s skills, talents and interests to be used for their own development as well as their community and
- Evaluating and learning from one another as we grow stronger communities.
We currently work in three core areas:
- Places of Welcome – a network of weekly community groups, offering free refreshments for all
- Enabling All – accessible communities where all can belong
- Dementia-Friendly Church and Schools
and we are keen to support and signpost in other areas of social justice.
While our work is community focussed, working at grassroots across all faiths and none, we have a Christian foundation and our work draws on the Diocese of Lichfield’s vision as we rethink attitudes towards ageing and disability within every aspect of our society – including churches – recognising that every single person has equal value and dignity and should be treated as such. We are also an associate member of the Church Urban Fund’s Together Network, working in partnership with similar organisations.
For more information on any of this work, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on social media: