In an Emergency

What to do in case of fire

  • Get everyone out of the building
  • Call the Fire Service immediately on 999
  • If possible, as you leave the building close all doors and windows (to prevent fire spreading). Do not allow people to re-enter the building.
  • If possible switch off gas and electricity supplies
  • Do not use water to douse a fire where it involves an electrical supply, fat, oil or spirit. You must inform the Property Department as soon as possible after any fire has occurred in your home.

Gas leaks

If you smell gas take immediate action:-

  • Put out any naked flames and cigarettes
  • Open windows
  • Turn off all gas appliances
  • Turn off the gas supply at your gas meter
  • Contact National Grid – 24 hour free service – national gas emergency number is 0800 111 999, this telephone number is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Inform Integral on 0333 234 1772 / 0333 234 1554
  • Inform the Property Department immediately on 07772 467478 (Simon Ray)
  • DO NOT use any electrical appliances including lights or operate electrical switches.

Burst Water pipes

You should either turn off the water supply to an appliance or to the whole house. If you have central heating, turn off the gas and any electrical controls as well. In all cases report the problem immediately to the Property Department if in work hours or for out of hours follow the procedure below.

Burglary or damage to a door or window rendering a property insecure

  • Inform the police and obtain a crime number and brief summary of the incident including the date and time, and the name and number of the police officer(s) attending the scene and the name, address and contact number for their station.
  • If the property is in-secure, inform the Property Department immediately if in work hours or for out of hours follow the procedure below.
  • If possible take a photo of any damage caused before emergency repairs are carried out.

Intruder alarm bell sounder has activated and cannot be stopped

  • Contact the company with whom you have a service agreement/contract.
  • If you do not have an active service agreement/contract, contact the Property Department if during work hours or if out of hours follow the procedure below:

Contact Property team out of hours?

  • In an emergency during the covid-19 crisis, ring the property team on 07772 467478 or email and report these repairs in the normal way.
  • If your emergency occurs outside office hours, then you should first obtain the authority of your Archdeacon and then ring a local contractor and instruct them to carry out work sufficient to solve the emergency. Please ensure that you report your actions to the Property Department as soon as possible. Please Note: If you call out a contractor for repairs that do not require emergency attention, you may be required to pay all associated costs.

This advice is availabe as a pdf  to print and put up in your home.

Page last updated: Wednesday 3rd November 2021 4:05 PM
Powered by Church Edit