Map of the world showing the location of our Link Dioceses
- Spring 2019 - Cross Cultural Placements took place across 3 Companion Links.See the reports below.
- * Oct 2017 - to find out more about Lichfield Diocese Team trip to South East Asia click here.
- * Feb 2017 - to find out more about Bushbury Parish Visits to Indonesia and Singapore please click here.
- * Regular news is produced by Godfrey and Dot Stone, if you would like to receive a copy please contact them by email
Matlosane, South Africa
*Matlosane, South Africa. Revd Liz Mills writes: The sun was already beating down as we arrived at the Cathedral of the Resurrection in Ikakeng. Matlosane is the only Diocese in the province of Southern Africa to have its cathedral in a township. We were there to celebrate ladies day. The day is chosen to coincide with the Feast of the Annunciation. As we began to process in the smell of incense fired my imagination and I found myself saying 'The Lord has done great things for me and holy is his name '.
As curates we were privileged to share in the distribution of Communion and also to bring the greeting of Bishop Michael. Bishop Steve preached and presided and there was much joy and singing! Everyone thanked everyone and spoke of the value of the partnership relationship we enjoy.The joy of our African brothers and sisters will remain with me always.
Read more from the other three curates and then-Director of Ministry Lesley Bentley here
* Following the report below, The Revd Nita Edwards re-visited Matlosane again in June 2019. Read her blog here
* The Revd Nita Edwards was made an Honorary Canon in 2018 in our link Diocese of Matlosane.Read more here:
* Canon Pat Hawkins went over to represent the diocese at the Cathedral of the Resurrection as Bishop Steven Diseko installed Revd Christopher Seupe as the fourth Dean of the Diocese of Matlosane in July 2018. It was a pleasure to welcome Father Christopher on a visit to our Diocese in September before attending the National Cathedrals Conference in Manchester.
* Bishop Michael made up a group of 10 from Lichfield Diocese had a wonderful visit to the Diocese of Matlosane, South Africa participating in the opening of the new Diocesan Centre in Klerksdorp in February 2018. More here:
* Revd Cathy Mark was a curate at All Saints Streetly and she was priested in 2017. Just before this she went with the West Midlands Leaders LinkforLife trip to South Africa and included a week in our Link Diocese of Matlosane. Read more:
*Spring 2019 - Cross Cultural Placements - QuAppelle, Saskatchewan, Canada. Jassica Castillo-Burley writes, inspired by a song she was listening to as the team drove through the vast Prairie spaces from Moose Jaw to Maple Creek: Sitting in a land and being surrounded by so much tension around the whole Truth and Reconciliation Process and the pain expressed by many First Nation people we met, I am reminded how sometimes of how our lives resemble the barrenness of the land. Even in what seems to be the most beautiful is filled with despair. We are invited to see Creator Gods hand at work taking what is apparent and making or remaking it fit for purpose. See Report here
* Spring 2018 - Then-Bishops Director of Ordinands Frances Wilson visited Qu'Appelle before hosting Archdeacon Catherine Harper, Director of Ministry Development in QuAppelle, in Lichfield.
* Aug 2017 - Catherine Crawley, from St Barts Church in Penn, has headed to QuAppelle where she will use her administrative skills in the diocesan office there. Check out her blog here:
*Aug 2017 - Bishop Michael and his wife visited Qu'Appelle Diocese.
*July 2017 - As part of the St Chad's Volunteer Programme Matthew Gobbert arrived from QuAppelle Diocese in Canada and was based at Holy Trinity in Oswestry for a year where he is living with the family of the churchs Youth and Families Minister Mark Addison. Mark said: I am having a great time. There is a lot going on in the church and I'm enjoying helping out at events at the Quinta Centre in Oswestry.
* May and June 2020 will see a cross-cultural pilgrimage focusing on Monastic Life in Mecklenburg. See more details including booking here. Deadline is 15th March 2020.
* Spring 2019 - Cross Cultural Placements -Nordkirche, the Evangelical Church of Northern Germany. Bishop Michael was keen for a group to be in the Nordkirche on what was envisaged as being Brexit Day March 29th, as an expression of prayerful solidarity. The group of four, including one second year curate Revd Gloria Harrison, spent a fruitful week in Gustrow and Rostock building on our friendship together and helping to shed some light on the highly confusing and complex Brexit process. Bishop elect Tilman Jeremias wrote following their visit: We all are really enriched by the visit of Gloria, Shell, Graham and Joshua! Especially we were impressed, how openly they told us about the complicated current political situation in the UK, but also about the reasons why so many people in the area of Stoke on Trent voted for Leave. Your diocese is blessed with these committed pastors!.
* Brilliant new leaflet outlining the details of the Nordkirche companion link here.
* December 2017 - A group of 11 from Lichfield Diocese had a wonderful visit to Rostock, in the Nordkirche, participating in the annual Anticipating Advent experience. More here:
* The Kirchentag 2017 fell on the year of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, and was one of the main events in Germany celebrating the jubilee. It gathered over 100,000 participants of all ages in Berlin; including more than 6,000 foreign participants from 105 countries. It brought together figures from church, political, economic and national life and provided a forum for debates on current social and political challenges, as well as offering opportunities for worship, workshops, music and culture. Read Terry Bloor's fascinating report here: