Specials are a time when we see people come to church who would not normally come and they are a great opportunity for drawing people into the family of the church and sharing faith. As well as the ones we all do there are lots of others to consider and some great examples below. If you have an example to share, let us know. (Email Richard Barrett)
- Mothering Sunday
- Valentines Day - more here
- Christmas Tree Festival
- Pet Sunday
- All Souls
- Teddy Bear Service
- Hats service on Trinity Sunday - God wears different hats! (see here for more details).
- Ice Cream Sunday (see here for more details)
- Hymns and Pimms (More details here)
Recommended book: Seasonal Worship from the Countryside. SPCK. (On Amazon here) As well as providing excellent ideas and resources for traditional special services such as Christmas, Easter and Harvest, it suggests a whole range of other ideas, many of which are listed below.
- Plough Sunday
- Lambing Service
- Rogation Sunday
- Well Dressing
- Bell-ringers service
- Riders Sunday
- Village cricketers Songs of Praise.
- Blessing of bats (cricket bats!)
- Walkers Service.
A variety of other special services can be found here