Open Door in Shrewsbury Abbey is an annual project for Year 6 pupils. It offers an opportunity to experience Christianity as a living faith, by joining in a full day’s programme of activities. This very popular, project runs for 3 days the first week in October for primary schools within Shropshire.
The dates for 2017 are Tuesday 3rd - Thursday 5th October. Each day lasts from 9.50 am until 2.30 pm and schools are expected to stay for the whole day.
The project is for year 6 pupils. Where a school has a single class with mixed age groups then years 5 and 6 may be accepted, where the school has not attended the previous year. We aim to take around 144 children, from several schools, each day.
A typical day involves:
- A Biblical theme, which will be developed throughout the day. In 2017 the day will include an exploration of worship and the Lord’s Prayer.
- Working in activity groups e.g. silk painting, banners, maths models, drama, music, caring for our world. Pupils choose their group before the day.
- An interactive tour using the historic Abbey space to further explore some aspects of living out the Christian life in the world today.
- Taking part in an interactive Act of Worship.
- Lunchtime activities – brass rubbing, gift shop and badge machine.
Schools will be given an activity pack to aid preparation and follow up to the visit, and to develop relevant themes within RE.
For 2017 the cost will again be £5.00 per pupil (plus travel costs). We will group small schools from the same area on the same day and let you know well in advance so that you can share coaches.
Schools will return with memorable experiences, a variety of pupils’ work suitable for display and having had opportunities for a deeper exploration of the meaning of the Christian faith for its followers. The project has been running since 2001. It is staffed by a large group of experienced volunteers who spend many hours preparing for the event.
Each day we aim to include a mix of both Church and Community schools. Priority will be given to new schools applying, and those whose applications were unsuccessful last year. Last in order will be those who attended ODSA or an Open Door type event in Telford or Hereford during the last academic year, but these may be successful, especially if there are last minute cancellations.
Any school who would like to take part in the Project is invited to complete the application form. Closing date Friday 26th May 2017.