All Saints', Madeley:All Saints, CW3 9PH
We welcome all new worshippers and visitors to our historic grade 1 listed village church. We are a friendly and growing congregation, drawn from a number of traditions, and all ages.
Although the first recorded church on the site was in the late 10th Century the oldest extant remains are four North Aisle piers from c.1170. The current North Aisle was built in the 14th Century, and a Clerestory, North and South Transepts (rare in a small parish church), South Porch, West Tower and North Chancel Chapel (now the Vestry) were all added in the 15th Century, culminating in a South Aisle of 1486.
A major restoration in 1872, as the climax of the long incumbencies of the Daltrys, father and son, and largely funded by Lord Crewe, swept away the 13th Century Chancel replacing it with a new structure, incorporating the old North Chapel. Visitors should make sure they see the window from the factory of William Morris, and incorporating figures by himself, Ford Madox Brown and Edward Burne Jones.
In the course of 2007/09 we undertook a major re-ordering of the church, revealing the hidden 1872 tile work in the Chancel, clearing the Lady Chapel (South Transept) and Aisles of old pews, the wood from which has been used to construct new screens, cupboards and book stands, and replacing the lost 1872 reredos with a new piece, supported by a grant from the Borough Council. We installed new lighting at the start of 2009, revealing more of our painted ceiling, and constructed a disabled access ramp in the churchyard.
In April 2011 we at last marked a great tragedy in the history of the Parish, the deaths of 62 men and boys of the morning shift at the Fair Lady Pit, Leycett, on 21st January 1880, with the unveiling a memorial to the 31 buried in our churchyard in the course of the morning of 25th January 1880, and whose graves are now unmarked.
Quiet Reflective Sunday Communion Service (Common Worship - no Music)
Family and Child centred non-Communion service
Parish Eucharist with Stepping Stones & The Towers
Family Communion Service with Sunday School, coffee served
Living Streams Praise Service
Living Streams is a new and developing ministry, rooted in the life of the Anglican parishes of All Saints', Madeley and St Margaret's, Betley. Its aim is to encourage and nurture Christian Discipleship through a variety of services, workshops and teaching events, and to promote and facilitate Christian healing. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Living Streams derives its name from Ezekiel 47:1-12, where the prophet describes an ever-widening stream which flows out of the temple, and from John 7:38, where Jesus promises that "out of the believer's heart shall flow rivers of living water."
In alternate months, at Betley or at Madeley, on the first Sunday of the month, there are united Services of Praise, intended to be opportunities to share in informal worship and to grow through focussed teaching, and Services of Healing and Wholeness, which provide an atmosphere of peace, support and encouragement, in a caring and non-threatening environment.
The Praise Services are at All Saints', and allow prayer and quiet as well as music and singing. The Healing Services are now at St Margaret's, Betley.
Praise & Play
Praise and Play for pre-school age children and parents/carers - church open from 9 a.m.
Service for residents and the public, held in the Residents' Lounge of Lea Court adjacent to the Madeley Centre, on the 1st Monday of each month.
Open to all, prayer group in church, Wednesday mornings except August
Quiet Reflective Holy Service Communion
(Common Worship - no Music)