When the Revd Philip Swan was appointed as Director of World Mission in January 2010, the Bishop of Lichfield said that:
"We must never forget that we are part of not just the wider Church of England and the Anglican Communion; but the worldwide church of God. Philip Swan will help us to focus on that, and enable the diocese to respond to the guidance of the Holy Spirit to fulfil our Lord’s calling to play a full part in the global partnership of God’s people in Christian mission.”
The World Mission seeks to do this in a number of ways:
- Making Connections with our 4 Diocesan Companion Links overseas;
Matlosane, S. Africa / West Malaysia, Kuching and Singapore in S.E.Asia / Qu’Appelle, Canada / Mecklenburg, Germany. For an overview and report of recent visits and activities click here
- For a brief summary of some HIGHLIGHTS OF 2012 (click here)
- Offering assistance in setting up Parish2Parish links.
- Enabling young people (18-35) through the St Chads Volunteer Programme, to go to our Companion Dioceses and to come here on 6-12 month placements (pdf)
- Encouraging parishes through the World Mission Audit, to review and reflect on their engagement with World Mission, providing advice and assistance in establishing links, making the most of existing ones and of deciding priorities in mission. (pdf)
- Raising awareness of World Development issues such as Fairtrade, Poverty, Climate Justice, becoming an Eco-congregations and the IF Campaign for Food Justice are dealt with in collaboration with Transforming Communities.
- Providing prayers and worship resources from the world church and compiling the Diocesan Prayer Diary which includes prayer for the wider Anglican Communion and our Companion Links.
- Offering expertise & assistance with sabbaticals and short-term exchange visits and setting up School-to-School links.
- Encouraging churches to engage creatively with ' the world that has come here', to make connections with African and Asian led churches in the Diocese and to seek to become ‘Cross Cultural Christians’.
- Providing study material on the world church and world mission.
- Resources for missional spirituality through the Community of St Chad. A Following–On Course introducing the Community is now available.
Community of St Chad - A Spiritual Lifestyle Shaped
by the five Rythmns of Grace on.fb.me/VR8y8w
For more information please click on the Community of St Chad Logo.
Director for World Mission – Revd Philip Swan
Tel: 07857 703303 or Email
PA to Philip Swan – Clare Spooner
Tel: 01922 707860 or Email
World Mission Office,
1a Small Street,